Casting On

Tuesday, February 21st, 2006
Tags: , , ,

I’m starting a new pair of mittens for my aunt. If anyone saw me with a blue and white fair isle number a little while ago, I’ve ripped it out and I’m starting again to adjust for an unexpected, wildly different gauge. They say it only takes one messed up project to learn you to knit a test swatch every time afterwards, but those people have never met me. I’ve done it twice.

I just learned how to do a tubular cast on, and it’s totally cool. There’s a fantastic tutorial at My Fashionable Life, and another at Knitty. The latter also has a great tutorial for a provisional cast on, so you can knit from both ends of the cast (for things like dolls and such).

Knitting!

UPDATE, Wednesday, 2:13 AM: I’m so excited! I didn’t think it would work, but it did. These mittens are going to be fantastic! Or should I say… tubular?

Related Posts:

6 Comments to “Casting On”

1. by ‘tubular’ do you mean on dps?

my friend knit “kate” from knitty.com. it’s SO.CUTE!

i’m knitting up my first pair of mittens, so i’m still learning with a knit-flat pattern, but i am learning and eventually i will be able to knit mittens like nobody’s business!

Comment by
    batman
    February 22, 2006 @ 9:21 am
  2. Actually, tubular refers to the way the stitches appear to roll under the edge of the mittens, sort of like a stretched out torus. If you take a look at someone who just did a basic cast-on, there’s a straight line all the way across that looks kinda funky. If you’re doing a K1P1, that line can be distracting.

Comment by Eve
    February 22, 2006 @ 12:37 pm
  3. You can see the difference by comparing the above image to this:

Tubular cast on

Regular cast on method with K1P1 ribbing

Comment by Eve
    February 22, 2006 @ 12:41 pm
  4. hmm. you learn something new every day. thanks.

Comment by batman
    February 22, 2006 @ 2:25 pm
  5. No problem! :)

Comment by Eve
    February 22, 2006 @ 2:32 pm
  6. [...] There have been quite a few people getting to my site via questions about casting on and off, so that’s what I’ll be featuring this week. It’s incredible how much more professional a piece looks when it uses an appropriate cast-on; when I was knitting the Snowdrift Mittens for my aunt a few months ago, I was amazed by how a tubular cast-on transformed them. Compared to them, the other mittens I knitted looked painfully amateur; it was like my snowdrift mittens had been taken to a higher plane of mitten existence. [...]

Pingback by Needle Exchange » Search Engine Sunday: Casting On and Binding Off
    July 23, 2006 @ 9:17 pm

Comments RSSGet a Gravatar

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.